Virtual patient reviews across geographies
An essential practice for better patient care
Multi-disciplinary team (MDT) meetings are expert meetings that take a team approach to the decision making process for patient diagnosis and treatment within for example cardiology, oncology, radiology, neurology and orthopedics. During these patient reviews, colleagues and experts from multiple departments, disciplines, hospitals or countries may meet to discuss complex cases and the best course of action for the patient.
Traditionally these meetings have involved physical travelling or at least walking from one department to another within the hospital - meaning that valuable time is lost, that meetings need to be scheduled well in advance, and that confidential patient data is transported to the meeting on a CD or USB for example.
The use of MDT-meetings is on the rise, and studies suggest that there is a positive impact on patient outcomes. But a significant amount of time and money is spent on preparation and travelling - meaning that there is room for efficiency improvements.1,2
Fulfilling the need for greater connectivity
InVision Connect is a clinical audio-visual system that consists of a DICOM viewer and a video conferencing platform. InVision Connect can be installed within the seminar room of the hospital department, enabling different departments or hospitals to have virtual patient review meetings. Synchronized DICOM-material can be shared, reviewed and controlled over the hospital’s private network with full diagnostic imaging quality maintained. This means that patient data no longer has to be transported physically - reducing the risk of misplacing confidential information. Meetings can be held with shorter notice and travelling is no longer necessary, saving both time and money.
Connect, share and review
A network of hospitals, each with InVision Connect, can participate in virtual meetings together where image playback of the shared DICOM-files is synchronized and the host hospital can pass playback controls amongst participants. Importantly, the DICOM-files are sent to each participant ahead of each virtual diagnostic review meeting, meaning zero loss in image quality. This is a critical feature to maintain diagnostic image quality.
Remote presentation of confidential patient data
InVision Connect can be configured to multiple PACS archives within the hospital giving you fast and easy access to all stored data. One patient can be searched on multiple archives simultaneously and once the required study is found it can be flagged for virtual review. When a study is flagged, all configured participant hospitals are sent the DICOM file ahead of the virtual meeting.
Playback control can be shared between each participant and the cursor of the hospital in control is visible to everyone. This allows for a controlled virtual review meeting where everybody can get their points across easily.
Since each participant has received the entire DICOM file, no compromises are made from the original image quality found on the PACS archive. After the virtual patient review meeting or if the meeting doesn’t go ahead, all patient data is automatically deleted from each participant’s system, safeguarding confidential data.
A customized solution to match your needs
InVision Connect is part of the modular InVision-system. The InVision Viewer module is included with InVision Connect.
- Evaluation of the benefit and use of multidisciplinary teams in the treatment of head and neck cancer, Lisa Licitra et al, Oral Oncology, Volume 59 pages e1-e14, 1-86, August 2016
- The proliferation of multidisciplinary team meetings (MDTMs): how can radiology departments continue to support them all? Balasubramaniam R. et al, European Radiology, 2015 Dec 25(12):3679-84
See how it works
- Participate in virtual MDT-meetings with no need for travelling
- Shared playback control between all participants
- Video conferencing maintaining full diagnostic image quality
- Supports the decision making and treatment planning process
- Connect departments, hospitals and global expertise
- Fixed, unobtrusive installation
- Add cases to favourites tab
- Flag cases for virtual diagnostic review meetings
- Playback of archived DICOM files including audio
- Speed and frame by frame playback control
- Contrast, brightness and image inversion control
- Rapid access of archived data from multiple PACS servers in one search window - search for one patient on multiple archives simultaneously
- Playback control can be shared amongst all participants
- Video conferencing via supplied webcam
- Full duplex audio with echo cancellation